Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My own domain!

I never thought it would come this far, but yesterday I managed to register the name wuxiapian.com.

I spent a good 2 hours searching the web for web hosts, but most of them are just bloating with advertisements and empty air.. Some of them over offer a “Free” domain name for lifetime.. until you find out the domain will be put in THEIR name and when you want your site to move, you are major screwed.

And don’t even get me started on so called “webhost review” sites. They are nothing more than advertisement sites for those webhosts. Bleh.

So I just went to namecheap.com and first bought the name. I was actually quite surprised that wuxiapian.com was still free. If that is a sign of things to come, I am happy! I was sure someone would have taken that name already. I was also thinking about taking wuxiapiangame.com, but that is probably for later, if needed…

Next up: Finding a host that is not too expensive, and where I am able to pay on a monthly basis. Cyrus was friendly enough to point me to nearlyfreespeach.net, where it is indeed very cheap to set up a website.
They do not charge a fixed fee, but based on the amount of storage you use and the amount of traffic your page generates.

Yep, I too thought: But what if I get suddenly all the attention and millions of visitors, I will go bankrupt!
Nope. They have something like a bank account, where you can deposit an amount of money into. If you run out of money there, they take your site offline (they wont charge your credit card). Add more money and it comes up again within 20-30 minutes.
This way, I decide how much I am willing to pay for my website.

If the game turns out to be successful and the site becomes very big at one time, I will simply transfer it to a bigger hoster, but for now, I am very happy. From what I heard, small sites could easily stay under 10$ a year. That’s a very good deal. Who wants to pay 50$ for 100Gb traffic when you only get 1Gb of traffic?

So the Domain is set, I am hosted and Dreamweaver is all set up to go.. Hopefully I can up a basic site quickly, with the Demo decks and Rules for download. I sure have some read up on webpage design to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment