Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Gems


You know, every once in a while, you surf the internet and come across a little gem in a sea of garbage and money making schemes..

Yesterday I was searching the internet again for some good articles about game design (esp. card game design), when I stumbled upon some weird but cool looking ccg´s from Singapore (non-manga garbage).. from there I found a small card game from France, called a role card game:

CORUNEA (http://www.corunea.com/)

What an eye opener.. This is what a great card game should look like. I immediately ordered a starter pack. It is a bit pricey, but the quality is superb. If you take a look around the forums, you see all sorts of cries about: this is what WOW tcg should be, and great, no more diving for power rares and mystic rares to get your net deck up to shape.. NO RARITY. let me repeat this again: no rarity! This means fair trades, easier collecting, and best of all, cheaper!

The art look fantastic, and I cannot wait do dive into the game.. Hopefully my wife will understand..
to see all of the cards from the first "set" of Corunea, go here:

I only found one or 2 more gems like this during my entire card flopping life: Starchamber (http://www.starchamber.net/) and maybe Vampire ccg.. card games that do NOT make your wallet glow bright red with friction..

I think the downfall of most modern ccg´s is indeed the money grab they represent. I can understand it from a business point of view, and I am amazed that Magic still manages to keep it up on the same road.. They even introduced a higher level of rarity in their booster packs, and people seem to like it.. just like yu-gi-yo has.. I am amazed that seasoned players still fork over a lot of cash to get those 80$ super rares they "need" for their decks..

Decipher, or should I say, New decipher also jumped off the bandwagon and are proposing a completely new way of distributing their card for their new game: fightklub. I sincerely hope they manage to get on top again with this model. It sure sounds less painful for our wallets.

SO, how long does the French mail takes to reach Barcelona, spain..c´mon!

1 comment:

  1. Corunea really represents the new direction the CCG (in this acronym I mean customizable, not collectible) industry is moving. That is the method we use for Geek Fight!, and Fantasy Flight Games has taken up the LCG (living card game) model for their card games. They release only 20 cards a month in a fixed 40 card pack.

    MtG, on the other hand, is changing their distribution method by adding a new rarity and removing a common card from each pack in favor of a basic land card. This makes packs cheaper to produce, while trying to motivate players to buy them more to get the "Mythic Rare" cards. This has angered many players.

    ReplyDelete